Friday, July 28, 2006

Winding Down

Tuesday morning at devotions, it was announced that the winter term at Hartzell High School will end with early-morning devotions next Tuesday (August 1), one day early because of difficulty making arrangements for buses to Harare, where many Hartzell students live. Suddenly, I was confronted with the reality of the end of my stay at Old Mutare, not a surprise, of course, but always in somewhat distant future, and now I must sort out mixed feelings about that closure. The next few days will include fond good-byes to students who have become friends, listening to those who urgently wish for “pencil friends” (pen pals) in the U. S., collecting letters to be mailed to U. S. addresses, answering the common question, “When will you return?” (usually saying, “At my age, I have no idea.”), and making other necessary end-of-term arrangements. Not least is to fret about whether there will indeed be transport and sufficient petrol for the return trip to Harare on (or before) August 6 when my first flight begins at 1:15 p.m.

These last days will be full of activity as I try to squeeze in as many experiences as possible, like my trip yesterday with Shadreck Mufuti, headmaster of Hartzell Central Primary School. I had the wrong impression that Hartzell Primary, like the high school, is a school that students choose to attend. I learned that it is the only primary school for a large area surrounding Old Mutare and the only choice for children who live as far as 15 km distant. He drove me along roads that children walk daily each way to school and showed me the simple huts and houses where they live, explaining that the poverty of the families living in those homes creates many problems for the children that the school cannot begin to solve. He told me of his great concern for the welfare of those children, many of whom he considers especially vulnerable, and of several dreams he has for improving their condition, hoping I might join him in fulfilling some of those dreams for them. I was touched, hoping too that I might keep alive those concerns once I am far away. Educational tasks are too often thwarted by students' lacks of basic physical needs—food, warm clothing, shoes, medical care—which cannot be ignored but neither can they be easily remedied.

I will leave here next week with a variety of emotions and perceiving that come from the multitude of experiences during more than 13 weeks of living at Old Mutare. It will take a long time, if ever, to sort all of that into reasonable understandings and guidance for my future commitments to this place and these people. I will leave both reluctantly and happily, the latter emotion largely the result of being away from family and often feeling very much alone. The reluctance will come from needing to say good-bye to people whom I have come to respect and appreciate deeply for their dedication and sacrifice to make life better for others. My memories of those heroic people will energize me for a long time. Immediately, I will need to sort through hundreds of pictures and find ways to tell their stories and report my work and impressions. Please, don’t make the mistake of asking me about Old Mutare unless you are willing to hear me out. It will take a big slice of your time.

My first flight leaves Harare for Jo’burg at 1:15 p.m. Sunday, August 6. Early that evening, I will board a plane bound for Washington Dulles, then a hop to Atlanta for my flight to Portland. I will arrive in late afternoon on August 7. Annette will come a day later from Boston. Then, our American life will resume—but never again the same after those months in Old Mutare.

No comments: