Wednesday, August 09, 2006

On the Ground in Portland

After sleeping through most of the last leg of my flight from Africa, I awakened Monday afternoon to look out the window and see a massive mountain just off the wingtip. Still drowsy, I wondered what had happened to cause the airplane to be so low and suddenly realized I was looking at Mt. Hood. Within minutes, we were on the ground and rolling to a stop. More than 36 hours earlier, I had boarded the flight from Harare to Jo'burg. Within a few hours, I was on a crowded airplane headed for Dulles airport where we landed 18 1/2 hours later, then a short hop to Atlanta before the final flight to Portland. Annette arrived Tuesday afternoon, so we are now at home in Portland, sorting out the many experiences and impressions of more than three months away.

I have left many good friends behind in a country that continues to experience incredible economc problems, making life difficult for everyone. Adding insult to injury, the Minister of Finance has announced revaluation of the currency, creating enormous confusion and resentment, and making exchange of foreign currency problematical. Inflation is now at about 100%/month. When I left Zimbabwe, money I changed early in my stay was worth about 1/4 as much. Petrol supplies are almost non-existent. Food costs are exorbitant, combining inflation and price gouging. For even the average Zimbabwean, living is tough.

Several projects will occupy me as I consider how I can continue to be involved in the lives and work of these good people. At the top of that list is a ten-year-old girl, whose name is Wayne Nyanungo, the daughter of a pastor. Wayne is more severely handicapped than anyone I have ever met. What can be done to reduce her suffering is way beyond me, but there must be some way to make a difference for her and her faithful family. I will try, working along with Rev. Kennedy Mukwindidza, a Zimbabwean pastor from Kansas, who initiated my visit with Wayne. I will soon post more information about Wayne, with pictures. Another project will assist a rural church, Marara, to complete the parsonage that has been half done for years, beyond the ability of that poor, small congregation to raise adequate funds. Follow this blog, and you will learn more soon.

No comments: