Sunday, August 07, 2005

A Sunday in Harare

Early this morning--but not early enough--we left our hosts' home to go to Glen Norah East United Methodist Church. When we arrived at 9:15 a.m., the people had been waiting more than 45 minutes, but we were joyfully welcomed nonetheless. The church, which meets in a community center, is six months old. About 300 people were gathered to welcome us, most of them sitting on the floor. At the front, to the left, a group of maybe 50 children were seated on the floor. The Americans were seated at the front, facing the congregation. I sat at the end of the row, next to the children. The joyful singing, and some dancing, continued after we arrived.

The service was entirely in Shona, except for two testimonies by team members and my sermon, which were interpreted. It was my first experience preaching with an interpreter. Preaching in that setting was almost beyond description. By the time I began my sermon, I was feeling so uplifted and joyful myself that almost nothing, including an interpreter, could get in the way of a triumphant experience for me. It was altogether thrilling, with the congregation responding visually and audibly to give marvelous support to the preacher. Even those young children were with me, and that was delightful. I sat down and within a few seconds, I had the hands of several children in mine and two little guys sitting on my lap. I was beside myself with just plain happiness.

Lavish greetings followed the service, and we then went to the pastor's home for the noon meal (the service lasted well over one-and-a-half hours after we arrived). There, we were greeted and thanked and provided a generous meal.

The remainder of the day, like most of yesterday, was restful, with no special obligations. That felt very good, simply to relax and play for a while with Menasha and Tajuba, Pastor and Mrs. Mungure's young granddaughters. Tomorrow, we head south to visit the orphanage where several children supported by the Moyo's BIG Ministry are living. We go on from there to visit the historic site, Great Zimbabwe, on Tuesday.

It is hard to believe that only four days remain in our stay here. We are already feeling the sense of loss we will experience when we say good=bye to our marvelous and generous friends in Zimbabwe.

No comments: